Document link: City Council Creed (Code of Conduct) established 12/06/2011
On December 6, 2011, the Tulare City Council adopted the following rules of conduct set forth in the Council’s Creed as follows:
1. The City’s mission statement drives everything: “To promote a quality of life making Tulare the most desirable community in which to live, learn, play, work, worship and prosper”;
2. The Tulare City Council agree to disagree;
3. The Tulare City Council will use respectful language when communicating ideas, beliefs or comments;
4. The Tulare City Council will not allow personal attacks on staff, each other, or the public;
5. The Tulare City Council will not condone “surprise government” - all issues that warrant review, discussion and/or consideration of the legislative body shall be presented at an open and public meeting in a courteous and professional manner;
6. The Tulare City Council will not condone grandstanding;
7. The Tulare City Council will continue to promote and follow open meeting laws in the decision making process;
8. The Tulare City Council will not belabor issues that have either been resolved or tabled to ensure continued productive discussions and decisions;
9. The Tulare City Council will consider the merit of the law, policies and/or procedures of the project and/or issue in the decision making process, separate and apart from the person (applicant/developer) for the benefit of the community;
10. The Tulare City Council will be proactive in addressing disagreements with fellow members or City Manager by directly addressing concerns with that member through meaningful & respectful dialogue.
11. The Tulare City Council will keep the City Manager informed of communication with staff regarding “significant City issues”.
12. The Tulare City Council will focus on policy setting with minimal involvement in daily operations.