The Tulare Public Library is lucky to have one of the largest collections of genealogical materials in Central California. Housed in the library’s “Hillman Family Library of Local History & Genealogy”, otherwise known as the Genealogy Room, it contains the following resources to assist the family and/or history researcher. The Genealogy / Local History Room is located inside the Tulare Public Library at the far south end.
- Over 7,000 volumes of various genealogy related reference books and publications.
- The California Collection, which consists of California-related history reference books.
- The Hyde II Collection, which consists of genealogy-related books available for checkout.
- The Tulare Advance Register newspaper on microfilm.
- Copies of the 1892-1928 Visalia Daily (later Morning) Delta newspapers on microfilm.
- Access to microfilm for the Porterville Evening Recorder newspaper (requires interlibrary loan).
- Many records relating to Tulare County, such as birth, death, marriage, and cemetery indexes.
- City/phone directories and subject vertical files
- Census records
- Surname files of information other researchers have provided
- Internet access
- In house use subscription to Ancestry.com
- Microfilm and Microfiche readers
- Copy Machine
- Helpful volunteers who can share their knowledge and experience.
- Occasional Genealogy classes.
- Access to Ancestry.com while in the library.
The Sequoia Genealogical Society
The Sequoia Genealogical Society (SGS) is the support organization for the Tulare Public Library’s Genealogy Collection. The SGS finds and/or purchases most of the materials for the collection and provides volunteers to assist patrons, organize materials, conduct research and respond to telephone and email inquiries from all over the world.
If you are interested in joining the SGS, please download the application below. If you are interested in volunteering in the Genealogy Room, download the Volunteer application or visit the library.
Hours: CLOSED until further notice due to COVID-19 pandemic
|Tuesday||11:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Wednesday||11:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||11:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Friday||11:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|First Saturday of the Month||10:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|Saturday, Sunday & Monday||Closed|
Genealogy Volunteers run a carnival game at the Annual Summer Reading Kickoff Event
475 North M Street
Tulare, CA 93274
Sequoia Genealogical Society
P. O. Box 820
Tulare, CA 93275
Tulare Public Library • 475 North M Street Tulare, CA 93274 • (559) 685-4500