Story Time at Tulare Public Library
Tulare Public Library is pleased to offer preschool story time twice weekly in the children's area. Our program is designed to introduce children from babies to 5 years of age to the library and to participating as part of a group. Regular activities include music, singing, finger plays, and of course stories! While story time is geared primarily for preschool age children, parents and children of all ages are welcome to attend. Teachers and children care providers are also invited to bring their children. If your group is larger than 10, we encourage you to contact the Library prior to your visit so we can accommodate everyone comfortably. Story time lasts thirty to forty-five minutes.
Early Literacy Skills
Reading and sharing books with your child is an important part of their development. All of our story times support these Early Literacy Skills:
- Vocabulary: Knowing the names of things and the meaning of words.
- Print Awareness: Print is all around—not just in books.
- Narrative Skills: Make predictions, describe things, or retell events in sequence.
- Phonological Awareness: Play with and explore the sounds that make up words.
- Print Motivation: Show that reading is fun so children will want to learn to read.
- Letter Knowledge: Knowing the names and sounds of different letters.