For upcoming Live Virtual Events, please visit our calendar.
Dig Deeper! June 16 - July 31
What is the Summer Reading Challenge?
The Summer Reading Challenge is an opportunity for readers of all ages to grow their reading habit this summer. Print, online (e-book), and audio book formats accepted. Parents and older siblings may read aloud to younger children.
How does the Challenge work?
Complete the reading log with titles read between June 16 and July 31. You may earn a total of 5 entries. To enter the Grand Prize Drawing you must log 8 books and complete one (1) Special Activity of your choice. For every 2 books read you earn one (1) entry in the prize drawing. You must earn a minimum of 2 entries to be eligible to win a gift card.
- Earn 2 entries and you are eligible to win a $10 gift card
- Earn 3 entries and you are also eligible to win a $20 gift card
- Earn 4 entries and you are also eligible to win a $30 gift card
- Complete the challenge by earning all 5 entries and you are also eligible to win a $50 gift card.
Limit one prize per person.
Bring your Challenge to the library by July 31st to enter the Drawing!
Ages 0-5 may be read to by an adult or older sibling. Please choose titles close to your reading level. Longer books, such as the later Harry Potter titles, may be counted as two (2) titles. Books do not have to be library books. Audio and e-books are also acceptable. You may take the Challenge only once during the session. Families are welcome, but each family member is limited to one (1) Challenge.
Online Summer Reading Challenge now available through Beanstack!
If you choose, you can log your reading online in place of the paper format. It's the same challenge, just without the paper!
Step 1- Open an account. With this account you can register as many family members as needed.
Step 2- Log your reading and activities. Earn badges and increase your chances to win gift cards. The more badges you earn, the more entries you get!
Take the Challenge online, Click BeanStack to start!
Click Summer Reading Challenge to print!
Dig Deeper Saturdays!
June 13- Dragons: Return of the Ice Sorceress by ScienceTellers
June 20 - Xtreme Science Magic
Here are instructions to do an experiment at home with a parent or family member. Be sure to post pictures and tag @sciencetellers & @tularelibrary on Facebook & Instagram.
Story Time every Friday!
More Video links coming weekly!
Early Literacy Skills
Reading and sharing books with your child is an important part of their development.
All of our story times support these Early Literacy Skills:
- Vocabulary: Knowing the names of things and the meaning of words.
- Print Awareness: Print is all around--not just in books.
- Narrative Skills: Make predictions, describe things, or retell events in sequence.
- Phonological Awareness: Play with and explore the sound that make up words.
- Print Motivation: Show that reading is fun so children will want to learn to read.
- Letter Knowledge: Knowing the names and sounds of different letters
Virtual Craft / activity every Tuesday
More video links coming weekly!
Other Fun Videos
Virtual Adult Activities every Thursday!
June 11- Cooking with Flipster
June 18- Adult Craft: Summer Fruit Piñatas
July 2- Traumatic Brain Injury 101
July 6- Dig Deeper into Romance Bookcloud
July 9- Resumes That Wow!
July 16- CA Service Dog Academy
July 18- Community Conversations with Veterans Concert: The Bearded Uke
July 23- Adult Craft
Archive of Adult Craft and Activities
For basic computer skills to get you started at home click Here
Tulare Public Library • 475 North M Street Tulare, CA 93274 • (559) 685-4500